A Flourish At The Finish For Profits
Well, 1996 went out with a bang. The 47% earnings increase in BUSINESS WEEK's flash report on fourth-quarter corporate profits of 83 companies was by far the best performance of the year--as was the 12% revenue jump. Factor out companies with fourth-quarter 1995 losses and profit comparisons were still up a healthy 12%. Standouts this quarter include Intel (+120%) and Exxon (+49%). AT&T spinoff Lucent Technologies turned 1995's $1 billion loss into an $859 million profit. As always, there were laggards; they included Georgia-Pacific (-99%) and Motorola (-45%). And there were some high-profile losers: Eastman Kodak lost $113 million.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Marc Faber Asked to Leave Sprott Board After Racist Report
- Airbus Snaps Up Bombardier Jet in New Challenge to Boeing