Soon, Modems With Muscle
The World Wide Web has given us an insatiable appetite for faster communications. Alas, the solutions--cable modems, high-capacity phone lines, or satellite links--are still a ways off. But modem manufacturers have found a way to tweak one last burst of speed out of the phone system. Early next year, you'll be able to get a modem, probably for around $200 or less, that will let you receive data from the Internet at 56 kilobits per second (kbps), about twice today's top speed.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Billionaire Tom Barrack Throws Harvey Weinstein a Lifeline
- Everything Is Crazy and the Markets Aren’t Freaking Out
- Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances
- Kushners’ Control of Family’s NYC Crown Jewel Is Now in Jeopardy