Hello? Remember The Deficit?
The sad fact about Campaign '96 is that honest talk about balancing the budget is being shunted aside--even though the pols and the public say they really want to eliminate the deficit. Bob Dole is peddling huge tax cuts, Bill Clinton demagogues about Medicare "cuts", and voters complain about congressional lawmakers who tried to trim their favorite programs. Only Ross Perot is telling the truth about the budget--and he's at 5% in the polls. Maybe everyone will get serious about the problem after the election, but given the shameful exhibition of the past few weeks, don't bet on it.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Billionaire Tom Barrack Throws Harvey Weinstein a Lifeline
- Everything Is Crazy and the Markets Aren’t Freaking Out
- Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances
- Kushners’ Control of Family’s NYC Crown Jewel Is Now in Jeopardy