Rallying Round The Chinese Flag
Across the Chinese world, nationalism is on the rise. In Hong Kong and Taiwan, anti-Japan groups are calling for boycotts of goods from Japan to protest Tokyo's claims to a tiny chain of disputed islands in the East China Sea. In Beijing, students are going online to voice their anger at Japan's claims to the islands, which Japan calls the Senkaku and China calls the Diaoyu. In San Francisco and Vancouver, thousands of overseas Chinese are marching to denounce Japan. In the waters off the islands, protesters have even dodged Japan's coast guard as they attempt to tear down a lighthouse erected by Japanese right-wingers.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Turns Out It Will Be Congress's Fault When Stocks Crash
- Facebook and Google Helped Anti-Refugee Campaign in Swing States
- Ford to Take $267 Million Hit From Recall of F-Series Trucks