Crunch Time At Quaker Oats
Nearly 20 years ago, fast-track Quaker Oats Co. exec William D. Smithburg was content to borrow his boss's Colorado townhouse for ski trips with the eclectic group of friends he calls the A-Team. These days, the group still skis together, but its trips have become more daring. Instead of riding the chairlifts at Vail, the A-Team helicopters to remote peaks in British Columbia. And while these old buddies are careful not to get too competitive, the gung-ho, 58-year-old Smithburg usually takes the lead. "There's some pride in keeping at the front, and he's out front," says Chicago ad man and A-Team member F. Byron Nahser.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The U.S. Drops Out of the Top 10 in Innovation Ranking
- Here’s What Trump’s Tariffs on U.S. Imports Are Doing to Markets
- Musk's New Pay Deal Could Make Him the World's Richest Man—If Tesla Succeeds
- Trump's Tariffs on Solar Mark Biggest Blow to Renewables Yet
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again