Cyrix Outpaces The Pentium
FINALLY, NO.2 GETS A BREAK. Cyrix, the Avis among cloners of Intel chips, got a boost on Sept. 25 when market leader Advanced Micro Devices disclosed that its version of Intel's Pentium chip won't be ready until the second quarter of 1996. Taking its cue, Cyrix plans to announce on Oct. 9 that in December it will ship a speedy new Pentium-compatible chip that will give AMD--and Intel--fits. Reason: it is 1.2 to 1.3 times faster than an equivalent Pentium. Analysts say Cyrix, with about 7% of the 486 chip market, could snatch up to 10% of the Pentium market next year.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Turns Out It Will Be Congress’s Fault When Stocks Crash
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Facebook and Google Helped Anti-Refugee Campaign in Swing States
- Ford to Take $267 Million Hit From Recall of F-Series Trucks