Bureaucrats To The BarricadesStewart Toy
They are a pampered army 5 million strong, enjoying lifetime job security and posh retirement perks. France's civil servants also form the country's most powerful pressure group--and they're setting out to prove it. Fonctionnaires are planning a national strike on Oct. 10, aiming to paralyze France and force the government to cancel a public-sector wage freeze for 1996. The freeze is a key element in plans to cut high state deficits.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The U.S. Drops Out of the Top 10 in Innovation Ranking
- Here’s What Trump’s Tariffs on U.S. Imports Are Doing to Markets
- Musk's New Pay Deal Could Make Him the World's Richest Man—If Tesla Succeeds
- Trump's Tariffs on Solar Mark Biggest Blow to Renewables Yet
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again