A Nasty Side Effect To Cutting Edge Surgery?
You report that the new "port-access" open-heart-surgery technique is likely to lower costs for insurers and employers ("Bypassing the trauma," News: Analysis & Commentary, Sept. 4). While that may be true for the individual case, we need to ask whether costs will increase overall: The volume of procedures may grow because the new technique is easier for the patient. Several recent studies on newer, less invasive procedures for gall bladder surgery have shown that costs overall rose due to such volume increases.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- One of the World’s Hottest Stocks Is Now Tumbling
- Recent ‘Odd’ Market Moves May Be a Warning Sign for Stocks
- The Global Economy Is Doing Just Fine, But the Davos Elite Is Worried
- Amazon Go Pushes Mediterranean Lamb, Skips the Chili Cheese Dogs
- Dollar Slips as Shutdown Drags On; Stocks Mixed: Markets Wrap