Profits Part Company With PaychecksBy
Weak economy. Strong profits. It's a combination that doesn't make sense. But in the first half of the year, the economy grew at an annual rate of only 1.6% while first-quarter earnings jumped 30% from a year ago, followed by a surprisingly healthy 19% advance in the second quarter. Last quarter's 0.5% growth in real gross domestic product was the slowest in 31/2 years.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The Latest on the Political Turmoil in Zimbabwe
- Goldman Sachs Sees Four 2018 Fed Rate Hikes as U.S. Growth Gains
- Norway Oil Bosses Insist End Isn't Nigh After $35 Billion Shock
- Subways May Be the Latest Casualty of China's Crackdown on Debt
- Norway Idea to Exit Oil Stocks Is ‘Shot Heard Around the World’