Good Deal? Yes. Great Deal? NoAmy Borrus
The phone rang in the Oval Office at 8 a.m. on June 28. A weary Mickey Kantor was calling with good news: At the last moment, marathon talks with Japanese negotiators in Geneva had produced the outlines of a deal to resolve a bitter trade dispute. "We're just dotting the i's," the U.S. Trade Representative told Clinton. After his advisers endorsed the pact, Clinton phoned back: "Hey, Mick. Congratulations! It sounds like you did great."
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Billionaire Tom Barrack Throws Harvey Weinstein a Lifeline
- Everything Is Crazy and the Markets Aren’t Freaking Out
- Airbus Snaps Up Bombardier Jet in New Challenge to Boeing
- Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances