The Wto Is Not The Big Bad Wolf
Regarding "Who's afraid of the World Trade Organization" (News: Analysis & Commentary, June 5) on the U.S.-Japan auto dispute: The WTO, like the General Agreement on Tariffs & Trade before it, is a pragmatic organization that favors negotiation over confrontation. The system will do the job designed for it by member governments. It will not "stall," since the procedure is now largely automatic, with clear deadlines at every stage. Yes, it could take more than a year to conclude all stages. But readers of BUSINESS WEEK know very well how much more time is involved getting civil-suit judgments in national courts.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Tesla Unveils ‘World’s Fastest Production Car’ and Electric Big Rig
- Norway Idea to Exit Oil Stocks Is ‘Shot Heard Around the World’
- Goldman Sachs Sees Four 2018 Fed Rate Hikes as U.S. Growth Gains
- Honda Recalls 800,000 Odyssey Minivans Linked to Injuries
- The Questionable Math Behind Manafort’s Extravagant Home Renovations