Table: Jiang's Agenda
By launching a high-level crackdown against corruption in Beijing, China's President is hoping to consolidate his power base as paramount leader Deng Xiaoping nears death. His goals: WIN POPULAR Since Beijing residents are upset about corruption SUPPORT among top city officials, Jiang gains some legiti- macy through his purges. ELIMINATE By ousting Beijing party boss Chen Xitong, Jiang OPPONENTS can clean house in the nation's capital. REASSESS Since Chen was a key backer of using violence TIANANMEN against the students in 1989, Jiang may use him as the scapegoat for the bloodbath. STALL More concerned with preserving stability, Jiang has REFORMS little interest in pursuing needed but controversial overhaul of the state sector and banking industry. REIN IN THE His anticorruption drives send a signal to the PROVINCES more freewheeling provinces that they could be the next target if they don't toe Jiang's line. DATA: BUSINESS WEEK LASKI/SIPA
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
You might like:
- One of the World’s Hottest Stocks Is Now Tumbling
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again
- Recent ‘Odd’ Market Moves May Be a Warning Sign for Stocks
- The Global Economy Is Doing Just Fine, But the Davos Elite Is Worried
- U.S. Stocks Gain as Senate Votes to End Shutdown: Markets Wrap