Table: Despite Pricey Acquisitions...
Despite Pricey Acquisitions... -- Paid $14 million for maker of Soho Natural sodas in 1988. Sold for $2 million in 1991. -- Bought Tropicana for $1.2 billion in 1988. Returns have been well below Seagram's expectations. -- Bought Martell Cognac for $850 million in 1988. Analysts say price for the premium brand was steep. -- Acquired 14.9% stake in Time Warner for $2 billion in 1993. Stock has remained virtually flat. -- Acquired distribution rights to Absolut Vodka in 1993. ...DuPont Still Fuels Seagram's Growth PRETAX EARNINGS (MILLIONS) FY 1995* FY 1992 SPIRITS AND WINE $695 $670 DUPONT (Dividends) 319 275 TROPICANA 88 81 TIME WARNER -71 -- DUPONT (Unremitted profits)** 337 134 *Estimates **After-tax earnings DATA: COMPANY REPORTS, FIRST BOSTON, BZW CANADA
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
You might like:
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Turns Out It Will Be Congress’s Fault When Stocks Crash
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Facebook and Google Helped Anti-Refugee Campaign in Swing States
- Ford to Take $267 Million Hit From Recall of F-Series Trucks