It was all smiles at a White House signing ceremony for the General Agreement on Tariffs & Trade on Dec. 8, but actually, Democrats are in deep discord over trade. Tempers exploded a few days earlier when House Democrats met with White House Chief of Staff Leon E. Panetta. They griped that their free-trade support cost them votes. "I voted for NAFTA and GATT, but I'll be damned if I vote for another one of your trade agreements," vowed one congressman. That sentiment could block Chile's entry into NAFTA.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Marc Faber Asked to Leave Sprott Board After Racist Report
- Airbus Snaps Up Bombardier Jet in New Challenge to Boeing