The Unkindest Cuts Facing Budget SlashersBy
The GOP's bold promise to balance the budget via a constitutional amendment is a bit like an overstuffed lawmaker purchasing a fancy exercise machine to work off holiday flab. It offers the hope of a quick slim-down, but if the gear just sits in the rec room, it won't get the job done. Unless lawmakers work up a sweat--and risk voters' wrath--by making deep cuts in popular programs, the balanced-budget proposal in the Republican Contract With America simply won't work.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- This $14 Million Atlanta Home With Bunker Is ‘Safest in America’
- Separatists Pledge to Fight On After Spain Moves to Oust Catalan Leaders
- These Cities Make NYC Housing Look Dirt Cheap
- GE's New CEO Vows Sweeping Change After ‘Unacceptable’ Report
- Greenwich Mansion Listings Pulled to Wait for a Better Day