To Bell Atlantic, A Bum Message
WHO WILL BUILD THE INFObahn? Bell Atlantic figures it can pay independent subcontractors to install and maintain fiber-optic cable. That has enraged the Communication Workers of America. In mid-November, union members started venting their anger by wearing T-shirts emblazoned with a cartoon depicting Bell Atlantic employees as Info Highway "roadkill." The company suspended as many as 1,200 workers without pay on Nov. 23 and 24. Vows CWA international vice-president Vincent Maisano: "There will be more fashion statements." Maybe not: The Philadelphia Business Journal, which first published the roadkill cartoon, has demanded that the union pull its shirt.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The U.S. Drops Out of the Top 10 in Innovation Ranking
- Here’s What Trump’s Tariffs on U.S. Imports Are Doing to Markets
- Musk's New Pay Deal Could Make Him the World's Richest Man—If Tesla Succeeds
- Trump's Tariffs on Solar Mark Biggest Blow to Renewables Yet
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again