A Safer Cig Or Rjr's Albatross?Maria Mallory
THE LOW-SMOKE CIGARETTE from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco is firing up antismoking advocates. Called Eclipse, the new product has the benefit of very little second-hand smoke, so those long car journeys with a smoker will be more pleasant for nonpuffers. Reynolds says Eclipse, still under development, also has less tar and nicotine than most cigarettes. But to attorneys bringing liability claims against Reynolds, the company is in effect admitting that its current smokes aren't safe. If cigarettes ain't broke, the lawyers say, why fix them with Eclipse?
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Billionaire Tom Barrack Throws Harvey Weinstein a Lifeline
- Everything Is Crazy and the Markets Aren’t Freaking Out
- Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances
- Kushners’ Control of Family’s NYC Crown Jewel Is Now in Jeopardy
- London House Prices Fall Most Since Financial Crisis