TWELVE AIRCRAFT CARRIERS are needed for the nation's defense, says the Clinton Administration. So Congress approved $3.6 billion in the fiscal 1995 budget to finish construction of a nuclear-powered carrier at Tenneco's Newport News (Va.) shipyard. With fewer U.S. bases abroad, 12 carrier battle groups are necessary to help deter America's enemies, it's said. The Navy says it may need to fight two major regional wars nearly simultaneously.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Marc Faber Asked to Leave Sprott Board After Racist Report
- Airbus Snaps Up Bombardier Jet in New Challenge to Boeing