Ron Brown's Chinese Treasure HuntDouglas Harbrecht
Forget the slow boat to China. The hottest ticket to the Far East these days is aboard Commerce Secretary Ron Brown's airborne Orient Express. Traveling on one of President Clinton's personal Air Force jets, Brown plans to depart Aug. 26 for a weeklong "commercial diplomacy" mission to Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong. CEOs of U.S. telecom, infrastructure, and transportation companies--many competing for contracts that need Chinese government approval--are clam- oring for one of the 25 available seats. "It's the hottest trip we've had," says a Commerce Dept. official. "Everybody wants to go."
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Racist Outburst Prompts Faber’s Exit From Three Company Boards
- Airbus Snaps Up Bombardier Jet in New Challenge to Boeing