MANY LAWMAKERS SAY turning more local crimes into federal offenses is the best answer to crime. As Congress works on pending laws, many are backing tough measures that are popular back home. Polls show that crime is America's No.1 worry. The Senate bill includes about 50 new federal capital offenses for things such as carjacking killings, as well as a slew of other offenses that would become federal cases. The lock-'em-up mentality also calls for more U.S. prison space.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Fewest Jobless Claims Since 1973 Show Firm U.S. Job Market
- Greenwich Mansion Listings Pulled to Wait for a Better Day
- Germans Are Going Wild for a Show Set During the Dawn of the Nazis
- The U.K.'s $86 Billion Pension Problem Is About to Solve Itself
- U.S. Stocks Climb With Treasuries as Dollar Slides: Markets Wrap