Clearing The Air IndoorsPam Black
The night after Sandra Ruffin had her Boone (N.C.) home recarpeted, she and her six-year-old daughter fell ill. Ruffin's heart raced. She suffered night sweats and muscle pain. Her daughter developed a bad nose bleed, a sinus infection, and blisters on her tongue. Ruffin suspected the chemicals in her new carpet. When she complained, the retailer ripped the carpeting out. But the Ruffins didn't recover. Four years later, Ruffin can't work because she gets easily disoriented. She also has permanent heart damage, and her daughter has asthma.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.