Three Days That Shook The World
Hard-line Soviet party and military leaders launched their abortive power grab as a preemptive strike to protect their own jobs and influence. Their immediate aim was to prevent Russian President Boris Yeltsin and leaders of eight other republics from signing a treaty on Aug. 20 to set up a looser federation--thus shifting to the republics much of the power and resources controlled by the central government apparatchiks.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Stocks Slide From Records as Anxiety Bubbles Up: Markets Wrap
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Turns Out It Will Be Congress’s Fault When Stocks Crash
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Facebook and Google Helped Anti-Refugee Campaign in Swing States