Bloomberg Billionaires Index

View profiles for each of the world’s 500 richest people, see the biggest movers, and compare fortunes or track returns.

#533 Hans-Peter Wild $3.90B

Random fact: Owns Moenchstein castle in Salzburg, Austria.

Overview

Wild controls closely held Arios Holding, owner of the Capri Sun juice drink brand. The Zug, Switzerland-based company sold more than five billion drink pouches and had revenue of $1.4 billion in 2016. The billionaire sold natural food ingredient company Wild Flavors for $3 billion in July 2014, while retaining Capri Sun.

As of Dec. 16, 2017:
Last change -$45.9M (-1.2%)
YTD change +$390M (+11.1%)
Industry Food & Beverage
Biggest asset Cash
Citizenship Germany
Age 75
Wealth Inherited
View net worth over:   Max 1 year 1 quarter 1 month 1 week

Relative Value

Hans-Peter Wild's net worth of $3.90B can buy ...

0
troy ounces of gold
0
barrels of crude oil

... and is equivalent to ...

0%
of the GDP of the United States
0%
of the total wealth of the 500 richest people in the world
0%
of the top 100 U.S. college endowments
0%
of the top 200 U.S. executives’ total awarded compensation
0%
of U.S. existing home sales
0
times the median U.S. household income

Latest News

Net Worth Summary

Cash
Private asset
Public asset
Misc. liabilities
Confidence rating:

The majority of Wild's fortune is derived from his ownership of Arios Holding, a Zug, Switzerland-based holding company, which had revenue of $1.4 billion in 2016, according to data compiled by London-based researcher Euromonitor International. It sells more than 5 billion pouches each year, according to its website.

Arios's biggest division is Capri Sun, a maker and distributor of fruit juice pouches. Other businesses include packager Indag and Wild Dairy, a supplier to food manufacturers.

The company is valued using the average enterprise value-to-sales and enterprise value-to-Ebitda multiples of three publicly traded peer companies: Britvic, Barr and Cott. Arios's divisions are valued as a group because the company doesn't break out their individual financial results.

The billionaire sold his 65 percent stake in natural ingredient maker Wild Flavors to U.S. food company Archer-Daniels-Midland for $3 billion in July 2014. He sold the other 35 percent to KKR four year earlier. Proceeds from the sales are included in his cash holdings, which also includes his ownership of Parisian rugby team Stade Francais.

He bought the Austrian castle Moenchstein in 2005. The Salzburg hotel's valuation is based on discussions with two hotel consultants who asked not to be identified because the information is private. He bought the nearby Goldener Hirsch hotel for 20 million euros ($23 million) in August 2016, which is valued at its purchase price.

Wild declined to comment on his net worth.

Biography

Birthdate: 1941
Family: Married, 2 children
Education: University College of Education of Heidelberg, Graduated University of Mannheim, Doctorate Degree

Hans-Peter Wild was born to Rudolf and Leonie Wild in Heildeberg, Germany, in 1941. His father founded the Wild Company in 1931 with the intention of producing alcohol-free drinks using only natural ingredients. Wild studied law at the University of Heidelberg and received a doctorate from the faculty of law at the University of Manheim. The subject of his dissertation was "monopolistic companies under French law."

After graduation, Wild worked as managing director at the Diersch & Schröder group of companies for four years, before joining his parents company in 1974. He signed boxing champion Muhammad Ali as advertising spokesman for Capri Sun in 1979, in an attempt to assist a global expansion.

More than six billion pouches of the fruit juice drink were consumed worldwide in 2013, according to the company's website. Capri Sun is the fifth-largest juice brand in the world by market share in 2013, according to London-based researcher Euromonitor International.

Archer-Daniels-Midland bought Wild Flavors GmBH, its flavorings subsidiary, for $2.9 billion in July 2014. Wild still owns all of Capri Sun, packager Indag and fruit ingredient supplier Wild Dairy.

The billionaire is the founding president of Leonie Wilde Charitable Foundation, named after his late mother. The organization supports social and cultural projects in Heidelberg and the surrounding areas for citizens in need. He lives in Zug, Switzerland, with his wife and two children.

Milestones
  • 1941 Hans-Peter Wild is born in Heidelberg, Germany.
  • 1969 Capri drink pouch is introduced in Germany.
  • 1974 Begins working at his parents' company.
  • 1975 Becomes market leader in fruit-juice drinks category in Germany.
  • 1979 Muhammad Ali becomes spokesman for the company.
  • 2010 Sells 35 percent stake in Wild Flavors to KKR.
  • 2014 Introduces clear-bottom Capri Sun pouches after reports of mold.
  • 2014 Archer-Daniels-Midland buys Wild Flavors GmbH.