About a month ago, the school close to the plant had sent parents a note explaining that children had been moved for the day to a different location because of smells coming from the fertilizer plant, Marquez-Perea said.
Vicky Pustejovsky, who works in customer service for Blue Cross Blue Shield and lives two blocks from the facility, said the town was in “complete disarray.”
“We were watching TV when we heard the explosion,” Pustejovsky said. “Our doors started caving in.”
Residents were told by authorities to remain indoors because of the threat of new explosions or an ammonia leak from the plant.