BHP Billiton Limited engages in the discovery, acquisition, development and marketing of natural resources worldwide. The company produces major commodities, including iron ore, metallurgical coal, copper and uranium; and has interests in oil, gas and energy coal. The company extracts and processes minerals, oil and gas from its production operations located primarily in Australia and the Americas. The company sells its products worldwide, with sales and marketing led through Singapore and Houston, United States. Assets and Markets Minerals Australia The Minerals Australia asset group includes operated assets in Western Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia. The company’s assets focus on copper, iron ore, coal and nickel. Copper asset Olympic Dam Olympic Dam is located 560 kilometers north of Adelaide and is a major deposit of copper, gold and uranium and it also has a significant deposit of silver. Olympic Dam operates a fully integrated processing facility from ore to metal. Olympic Dam’s underground mine is made up of approximately 450 kilometers of underground roads and tunnels, with a mine depth of 860 meters. The operation extracts copper uranium ore, with the ore hauled by automated train to feed underground crushing, storage and ore hoisting facilities. Iron ore asset Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) WAIO is an integrated system of four processing hubs and five mines, connected by approximately 1,000 kilometers of rail infrastructure and port facilities in the Pilbara region of northern Western Australia. There are four primary WAIO joint ventures (JVs): Mt Newman, Yandi, Mt Goldsworthy and Jimblebar. The company’s interest in the JVs is 85 per cent, with Mitsui and ITOCHU owning the remaining 15 per cent. Coal assets The company’s coal assets in Australia consist of both open-cut and underground mines. Queensland Coal Queensland Coal comprises the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) and BHP Billiton Mitsui Coal (BMC) assets in the Bowen Basin in Central Queensland, Australia. BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) BMA is a coal producer and supplier of seaborne metallurgical coal. BMA is owned 50:50 by BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi Development. BMA operates seven Bowen Basin mines (Goonyella Riverside, Broadmeadow, Daunia, Peak Downs, Saraji, Blackwater and Caval Ridge) and owns and operates the Hay Point Coal Terminal near Mackay. With the exception of the Broadmeadow underground longwall operation, BMA’s mines are open-cut, using dragline and truck and shovel fleets for overburden removal. BHP Billiton Mitsui Coal (BMC) BMC owns and operates two open-cut metallurgical coal mines in the Bowen Basin–South Walker Creek Mine and Poitrel Mine. BMC is owned by BHP Billiton (80 per cent) and Mitsui and Co (20 per cent). New South Wales Energy Coal New South Wales Energy Coal consists of the Mt Arthur Coal open-cut energy coal mine in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales, Australia. The site produces coal for domestic and international customers in the energy sector. Nickel West Nickel West is an integrated mine-to-market nickel business. All nickel operations (mines, concentrators, a smelter and refinery) are located in Western Australia. Nickel West’s concentrator plant in Kambalda processes ore and concentrate purchased from third parties. Nickel West Kwinana refines granulated nickel matte from the Kalgoorlie smelter into nickel powder and premium-grade nickel metal briquettes containing approximately 99 per cent nickel. Minerals Americas The Minerals Americas asset group includes projects, operated and non-operated assets in Canada, Chile, Peru, United States, Colombia and Brazil. The company’s assets and projects focus on copper, zinc, iron ore, coal and potash. Copper assets The company’s copper assets in the Americas (Chile and Peru) consist of open-cut mines. Escondida (Chile) BHP Billiton owns 57.5 per cent of, and operates, the Escondida mine, a major producer of copper. Escondida, located in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, is a copper porphyry deposit that also produces gold and
bhp billiton limited
(BHPLF:OTC Markets Group Inc - Current Information)
BHP Billiton Centre
171 Collins Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Phone: 61 3 9609 3333
Fax: 61 3 9609 3015www.bhpbilliton.com
The information and data displayed in this profile are created and managed by S&P Global Market Intelligence, a division of S&P Global. Bloomberg.com does not create or control the content.
|No competitor information is available for BHPLF.|
|View Industry Companies|
Sponsored Financial Commentaries
Only a company representative may request an update for the company profile. Documentation will be required.
To contact BHP BILLITON LIMITED, please visit www.bhpbilliton.com. Company data is provided by S&P Global Market Intelligence. Please use this form to report any data issues.