). Pampa Norte (Chile) Pampa Norte consists of two wholly owned operations in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile – Spence and Cerro Colorado. Antamina (Peru) The company owns 33.75 per cent of Antamina, a copper and zinc mine in north central Peru. Antamina also produces molybdenum and lead/bismuth concentrate, as well as small amounts of silver in the form of by-products. Olympic Dam (Australia) The company’s wholly owned Olympic Dam mine is a producer of copper cathode and uranium oxide and a refiner of gold and silver bullion. The site includes an underground mine, where the primary method of ore extraction is long-hole open stoping with cemented aggregate fill, and an integrated metallurgical processing plant. Iron Ore business unit This business unit produces iron ore worldwide. The company sells lump and fines products produced in Australia and produces pellets from its operations in Brazil. The company’s assets consist of the following: Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) (Australia) Operations at WAIO involve an integrated system of mines and approximately 1,000 kilometers of rail infrastructure and port facilities in the Pilbara region of northern Western Australia. The company’s focus is to improve output through operating its mines and utilizing available infrastructure at its disposal. The company has expanded its WAIO operations in response to increasing demand for iron ore, particularly from China. The company has completed eight expansion projects to increase its mine, rail and port capacity. This includes the company’s plan to continue to improve production following the completion of various expansion projects and ongoing debottlenecking of the supply chain to underpin potential further growth in capacity to 290 million tonnes per annum (100 per cent basis). Lump and fines products are sold to steel mills in China, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Switzerland, and Australia under long-term and short-term contracts. The company’s WAIO operations consist of four main joint ventures, such as Mt Newman, Yandi, Mt Goldsworthy and Jimblebar. The company’s interest in the joint ventures is 85 per cent, with Mitsui and ITOCHU Minerals & Energy of Australia Pty Ltd owning the remaining 15 per cent. The Mt Newman Joint Venture (JV) consists of various orebodies joined by conveyors and spur lines to a mining hub at Mt Whaleback. Ore is crushed, beneficiated (where necessary) and blended to create lump and fines products. The ore is then transported to port using Mt Newman JV-owned rail facilities. The Yandi JV comprises the Yandi mine where ore is crushed and screened and then transported by rail on the Newman main line. The Mt Goldsworthy JV consists of the Area C mine in the central Pilbara and the Yarrie mine in northern Pilbara. Ore is crushed and screened at Area C and transported by rail to Port Hedland. The company’s rail operations are controlled from Perth through its integrated remote operations centre, which co-locates rail control, port production control, mine dispatch control and mine fixed plant control. The company’s port facilities are located on both sides of the harbour at Port Hedland. These facilities consist of Nelson Point, owned by the Mt Newman JV, and Finucane Island, owned by the Mt Goldsworthy JV. The port facilities include five ore car dumpers, three lump rescreening plants, eight stackers, five reclaimers, stock and blending yards, and eight ship loaders. Samarco (Brazil) The company is a 50–50 joint venture partner with Vale at the Samarco operation in Brazil. Samarco comprises a mine and three concentrators located in the state of Minas Gerais, and four pellet plants and a port, located in Anchieta in the state of Espirito Santo. Three 400-kilometre pipelines connect the mine site to the pelletising facilities. Samarco’s main product is iron ore pellets. Extraction and beneficiation of iron ore are conducted at the Germano facilities in the municipalities of Mariana and Ouro Preto. Pellets are independently marketed by Samarco and sold to steelmakers in 19 countries. Coal business unit This business unit sup
bhp billiton ltd-spon adr (BHP:Munich)
BHP Billiton Centre
171 Collins Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Phone: 61 3 9609 3333
Fax: 61 3 9609 3015www.bhpbilliton.com
The information and data displayed in this profile are created and managed by Capital IQ, a Standard & Poor's company. Bloomberg.com does not create or control the content.
|No competitor information is available for BHP.|
|View Industry Companies|
Sponsored Financial Commentaries
Only a company representative may request an update for the company profile. Documentation will be required.
To contact BHP BILLITON LTD-SPON ADR, please visit www.bhpbilliton.com. Company data is provided by Capital IQ. Please use this form to report any data issues.