Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

June 03, 2015 10:30 AM ET

Hotels, Restaurants and Leisure

Company Overview of J D Wetherspoon plc

Company Overview

J D Wetherspoon plc owns and operates pubs in the United Kingdom. As of December 29, 2014, it operated approximately 927 pubs, which offer food and drinks. The company also operates hotels and bars. J D Wetherspoon plc was founded in 1979 and is headquartered in Watford, the United Kingdom.

Wetherspoon House

Central Park

Reeds Crescent

Watford,  WD24 4QL

United Kingdom

Founded in 1979

34,417 Employees


44 19 2347 7777


44 19 2321 9810

Key Executives for J D Wetherspoon plc

Chief Executive Officer, Member of Management Board and Director
Age: 49
Total Annual Compensation: $497.0K
Personnel & Legal Director, Member of Management Board and Executive Director
Age: 47
Total Annual Compensation: $276.0K
Compensation as of Fiscal Year 2014.

J D Wetherspoon plc Key Developments

JD Wetherspoon to Open Three New Pubs in Ireland

JD Wetherspoon is to open three new pubs in the Republic of Ireland in the coming months. The company is to invest more than EUR 6 million on developing the new pubs and will create approximately 150 jobs. The new pubs will be the Great Wood in Blanchardstown (June 23, 2015) and The Old Borough in Swords (July 21, 2015), as well as The Linen Weaver in Cork (September 1, 2015).

Howe & Co Wins against Kingsley Napley on Wetherspoon Traveller Racism Row

Kingsley Napley client JD Wetherspoon has been ordered to pay £24,000 to a number of Irish travellers represented by Howe & Co following a Central London County Court ruling of "direct racial discrimination" by the pub chain on 18 May 2015. Howe & Co was instructed by the Traveller Movement Charity and 18 further claimants who said they were denied access to a north London branch of the pub because of their race. Howe & Co founding partner Martin Howe, who led the case, was also one of the 19 claimants in his role as trustee of the Traveller Movement Charity. The incident happened in November 2011 at the Coronet on Holloway Road when a group of delegates from the Traveller Movement's annual conference, including Howe, attempted to enter the pub but were stopped by door staff. The Traveller Movement instructed Howe & Co to bring the class action against the pub under the Equality Act 2010. Wetherspoon has also been ordered to pay the claimants' legal costs totaling more than £700,000.

J D Wetherspoon plc Announces Interim Management Statement for the 13 Weeks and 39 Weeks Period to 26 April 2015; Provides Earnings Guidance for the Fiscal 2015

J D Wetherspoon plc announced interim management statement for the 13 weeks and 39 weeks period to 26 April 2015. For the 13 weeks to 26 April 2015, like-for-like sales increased by 1.7%, and total sales increased by 5.8%. The operating margin in the 13 weeks to 26 April 2015 was 7.5%, compared with 8.0% in the same period last year. In the year to date (39 weeks to 26 April 2015), like-for-like sales increased by 3.6% and total sales increased by 7.9%. At this stage the company expects the full-year margin to be in the region of 7.3% to 7.7%.

Similar Private Companies By Industry

Company Name Region
The Rose & Crown Europe
Pearce and Saunders Limited Europe
The Arden Hotel Limited Europe
Alfa Travel Ltd. Europe
Brief To Event Solutions Ltd. Europe

Recent Private Companies Transactions

January 22, 2015
July 9, 2014
Browns Hotel

Stock Quotes

Market data is delayed at least 15 minutes.

Company Lookup

Most Searched Private Companies

Company Name Geographic Region
Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law United States
NYC2012, Inc. United States
Bertelsmann AG Europe
Rush University United States
Greater Houston Partnership United States

Sponsored Financial Commentaries

Sponsored Links

Report Data Issue

To contact J D Wetherspoon plc, please visit Company data is provided by Capital IQ. Please use this form to report any data issues.

Please enter your information in the following field(s):
Update Needed*

All data changes require verification from public sources. Please include the correct value or values and a source where we can verify.

Your requested update has been submitted

Our data partners will research the update request and update the information on this page if necessary. Research and follow-up could take several weeks. If you have questions, you can contact them at