“The major welfare abuser in America is the wealthiest family in America, the Walton family,” Sen. Bernie Sanders says, referring to founders of Wal-Mart Stores.
- Walton family demonstrates nation’s “rigged” economy in that Wal-Mart doesn’t pay its employees a “living wage,” forcing many workers to turn to food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing funded by taxpayers, the Democratic presidential candidate says at campaign event in Keene, N.H.
- “I say to the Walton family, get off of welfare. Pay your workers a living wage”
- Sanders says it’s unacceptable that Walton family has more wealth than bottom 40% of Americans
- Says income, wealth inequality in U.S. worse today than any time since 1928
- NOTE: Wal-Mart, Walton family representatives didn’t immediately respond to request for comment
- NOTE: Sanders is campaigning in N.H. ahead of that state’s Feb. 9 primary; he came in 2nd to rival Hillary Clinton yday in Iowa caucuses, losing 1st place by less than 1 ppt