Dozens of business leaders, including a handful of Republicans, endorsed Hillary Clinton on Thursday, as her campaign seeks to challenge Donald Trump’s assertions that he is the best candidate for U.S. businesses.
Republicans backing Clinton include Dan Akerson, former chairman and chief executive officer of General Motors Co., and Jim Cicconi, a former Reagan and George H.W. Bush White House staffer who is a Washington executive at AT&T Services Inc.
Cicconi has supported every Republican candidate for president since 1976 but can’t do the same this year because “it's vital to put our country's well-being ahead of party,” he said in a statement. “Hillary Clinton is experienced, qualified, and will make a fine president. The alternative, I fear, would set our nation on a very dark path.”
The Wall Street Journal reported the endorsements early Thursday.
Also endorsing Clinton is Hamid R. Moghadam, a Republican who is chairman and CEO of real estate investment trust Prologis, Inc. “Our country is about tolerance and inclusion and that's why, as a lifelong Republican supporter, I endorse Hillary Clinton for president in this election,” he said in a statement.
The list released by the Clinton campaign includes 57 names, including some who have previously made clear that they support the presumptive Democratic nominee. Warren E. Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., joined Clinton onstage at a rally in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, late last year. Clinton has made clear that she supports what’s come to be known as the Buffett Rule, which would impose a minimum tax rate of at least 30 percent on individuals earning at least $1 million annually.
Other endorsers are active in Democratic politics, including Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google's parent company, Alphabet Inc.; IAC/InterActiveCorp Chairman Barry Diller; Facebook Inc. Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg, Salesforce.com Inc. CEO Marc Benioff and Zynga Inc. Chairman Mark Pincus.
Below is the full list of business leaders supporting Hillary Clinton as provided by her campaign:
- Miki Agrawal, Founder and CEO of Thinx
- Dan Akerson, Former Chairman and CEO of General Motors
- Richard Anderson, Executive Chairman, Delta Air Lines, Inc.
- Stewart Bainum Jr., Chairman of Choice Hotels International
- James Bell, Former Interim CEO of Boeing; Former Corporate President and CFO of Boeing
- Marc Benioff, Chairman and CEO of Salesforce
- Nathan Blecharczyk, Co-Founder and CTO of Airbnb
- Jeff Brotman, Co-Founder and Chairman of Costco Wholesale Corporation
- Warren E. Buffett, Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
- Robert Burt, Retired Chairman, CEO FMC Corporation; Former Chairman Business Roundtable
- Ron Busby, President and CEO of the U.S. Black Chambers
- Brook Byers, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Peter Chernin, CEO, The Chernin Group
- Brian Chesky, Co-Founder and CEO of Airbnb
- Jim Cicconi, Senior Executive Vice President, AT&T Services, Inc.
- David Crane, Former CEO of NRG Energy, Inc.
- Erroll Davis, Retired Chancellor, University System of Georgia
- Barry Diller, Chairman and Senior Executive of IAC and Expedia
- John Doerr, Partner at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield, and Byers
- Margot Dorfman, President and CEO of U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- Candy Ergen, Co-Founder, DISH Network
- Joe Gebbia, Co-Founder and CPO of Airbnb
- Reed Hastings, Founder and CEO of Netflix
- Reid Hoffman, Partner at Greylock
- Drew Houston, Founder and CEO of Dropbox
- George Hume, President and CEO of Basic American Foods
- Irwin Jacobs, Founding Chairman and CEO Emeritus of Qualcomm
- Paul Jacobs, Executive Chairman, Qualcomm
- Leila Janah, Founder and CEO of Sama and Laxmi
- Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Chairman and CEO, Magic Johnson Enterprises
- Robert Johnson, Chairman, The RLJ Companies and Founder of Black Entertainment Television
- Andrea Jung, CEO of Grameen America, and Former CEO of Avon
- Lynn Jurich, CEO and Co-Founder of Sunrun
- David Karp, Founder and CEO of Tumblr
- Ellen Kullman, Former Chair and CEO of DuPont
- Debra Lee, Chairman and CEO of Black Entertainment Television
- Ted Leonsis, Founder and CEO of Monumental Sports & Entertainment
- Aaron Levie, Co-Founder and CEO of Box
- Peter Lowy, CEO of Westfield
- Monica Lozano, Former Chairman and CEO, U.S. Hispanic Media
- Rob Marcus, Former Chairman and CEO Time Warner Cable Inc.
- William L. McComb, CEO (retired) of Liz Claiborne & Fifth and Pacific Companies, Inc.
- Rebecca Minkoff, Founder of Rebecca Minkoff
- Hamid R. Moghadam, Chairman and CEO of Prologis
- James J. Murren, Chairman and CEO, MGM Resorts International and Chairman, MGM Growth Properties
- Charles Phillips, CEO of Infor
- Mark Pincus, Co-Founder of Zynga
- Laura M. Ricketts, Co-Owner, Chicago Cubs
- Gary Rodkin, CEO (retired) of ConAgra Foods
- Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook
- Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Alphabet
- Jim Sinegal, Co-Founder, Director and former CEO of Costco
- Jeremy Stoppelman, CEO and Co-Founder, Yelp
- Walter Ulloa, Chairman and CEO, Entravision Communications Corporation
- Wendell P. Weeks, Chairman of the Board, CEO and President, Corning Incorporated
- Anne Wojcicki, CEO and Co-Founder, 23andme