“I’m sick about it, and I feel an absolute urgency for this country to start being sensible about keeping guns away from people who should not have them,” Hillary Clinton says in intrvw with Boston’s WCVB.
- In transcript provided by Clinton campaign, Democratic presidential candidate calls for universal background checks, longer waiting periods for gun purchases
- “I think that what we need is a national movement”
- Vows to counter NRA’s ability to “intimidate and scare legislators” by “equally large and vocal group” in favor of gun controls
- “Majority of the population and a majority of gun owners agree that there should be universal background checks” but “NRA has stood in the way”
- Mentions Bill Clinton’s success with assault weapons ban in 1990s: “My husband beat them,” ban “did have a positive effect”
- Related story: Obama Faults Inaction on Gun Limits After Oregon Shooting http://bloom.bg/1FL6UBy
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE