Former Fla. Gov. Jeb Bush stands behind his position on giving illegal immigrants path to “legal status” at tonight’s Fox News Republican presidential debate in Cleveland.
- Bush stresses he isn’t for “amnesty,” would have illegal immigrants pay fine, earn path to legal status
- Bush says he believes most people coming into U.S. illegally are doing so because “no other option,” yet U.S. must control our border
- Rival Donald Trump says wall must be built at border “quickly”
- NOTE: Trump was launched onto the national stage with his comments during speech announcing presidential bid in which he called some Mexican immigrants “rapists” and said they’re bringing drugs and crime into U.S.
- NOTE: Bush has said U.S. should “require individuals to pass a thorough criminal background check, pay fines, pay taxes, learn English, obtain a provisional work permit and work, not receive federal government assistance, and over an extended period of time earn legal status”
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE