Michael Cohen, key adviser to GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump, apologizes for telling Daily Beast that legally “you cannot rape your wife,” CNN reports.
- NOTE: Cohen was defending Trump from rape accusations stemming from divorce from ex-wife Ivana Trump
- “Rarely am I surprised by the press, but the gall of this particular reporter to make such a reprehensible and false allegation against Mr. Trump truly stunned me,” Cohen says in statement to CNN
- “In my moment of shock and anger, I made an inarticulate comment which I do not believe and which I apologize for entirely”
- NOTE: Campaign manager Corey Lewandowski tells CNN Trump didn’t know of Cohen’s comment but “disagrees with them”
- NOTE: Ivana Trump said Daily Beast report is “totally without merit”; related story: Donald Trump’s Ex-Wife Defends Him After Rape Allegations
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE