Cricket Australia, Arthur to Resume Settlement Talks Next Week
Former Australia national team coach Mickey Arthur, who’s suing Cricket Australia after being fired from the job last month, said he failed to reach a settlement during conciliation talks today.
Arthur, who filed proceedings with the Fair Work Commission in Sydney two weeks ago for being “sacked and scapegoated,” is seeking as much as A$4 million ($3.7 million) in compensation, claiming discrimination because he was South African and “didn’t understand the Australian way,” Channel Seven reported July 16, citing the confidential filings.
Following talks at the commission today, Arthur said the parties would reconvene in a weeks’ time. He’d earlier told reporters on arrival that he was hoping for a settlement rather than having to take Cricket Australia to court.
“Although we didn’t come to an agreement today, I am pleased that there is enough goodwill in the room for us to continue talking next week,” Arthur said in a statement. “As I’ve said, all I want is a fair and reasonable outcome, and hopefully we will get a solution next week.”
The 45-year-old Arthur, who had two years to run on his contract, was fired June 24 and replaced with Darren Lehmann 16 days before the start of the Ashes series against England.
Arthur said three days ago that he was left with little choice but to take legal action as he’d had no contact or payments from Cricket Australia since his dismissal.
The Melbourne-based governing body said July 21 that it was “confident” in its legal position and “comfortable” with the level of support provided to Arthur, who had been contracted until the end of the 2015 Cricket World Cup.
Arthur was replaced because of Australia’s “struggles both on and off the field” during this year’s tour of India and the Champions Trophy tournament, Cricket Australia said at the time of his dismissal. Arthur was ultimately responsible for the team’s failure to improve its discipline, consistency of behavior and accountability for performance, it added.
Arthur was hired as Australia’s first overseas-born coach in November 2011 and led the team to 10 wins, six losses and three draws in 19 Tests. His tenure was marked by discipline breaches in the squad, the latest being batsman David Warner’s suspension last month for punching England’s Joe Root in a bar.
To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at email@example.com