Merkel’s Coalition Is Likely to Win Election, Polls Indicate
German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government will probably be re-elected in September, two pre-election polls indicate.
CDU/CSU will get 40 percent of votes, coalition partner FDP 6.5 percent, according to a poll conducted by Institut fuer Demoskopie Allensbach on behalf of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung newspaper. The total of 46.5 percent compares to a combined 44 percent of the other parties moving into parliament, comprising the SPD that polled 25.5 percent, Greens with 12.5 percent and Die Linke 6 percent.
Allensbach didn’t give data of earlier polls. It polled 1,583 people from July 1 to July 11 and didn’t provide a margin of error.
CDU/CSU will get 41 percent of votes, one percentage point less than a week earlier and FDP 5 percent, one percentage point more, according to an Emnid poll on behalf of the Bild am Sonntag newspaper. The combined 46 percent compares to 45 percent of the other parties moving into parliament, comprising SPD with 26 percent, Greens polling 12 percent and Die Linke 7 percent.
Emnid polled 1,838 people from July 4 to July 10. It didn’t provide a margin of error.
To contact the reporter on this story: Tino Andresen in Dusseldorf at firstname.lastname@example.org