PacificLight Set to Start LNG-Fueled Singapore Plant by Year End
PacificLight Power Pte Ltd. said its 800 megawatt Jurong Island power plant, the first in Singapore to be completely fueled by liquefied natural gas, will be fully operational by the fourth quarter.
The company’s gas-fired, combined-cycle facility in western Singapore will sell electricity to customers at prices based on crude or high-sulfur fuel oil, PacificLight Power said yesterday in a statement.
“With the opening up of Singapore’s electricity market, an increasing number of consumers are expecting better customer service and competitive prices,” said Yu Tat Ming, the company’s chief executive officer.
Malaysia’s Petronas Power Sdn Bhd. owns 30 percent of PacificLight Power, and 70 percent is held by FPM Power Holdings Limited, a joint venture of Hong Kong-based First Pacific Company Ltd. and a unit of Manila Electric Co.
Singapore currently uses piped natural gas from Malaysia and Indonesia to generate 80 percent of its power, with fuel oil, solid waste and solar energy providing the remaining 20 percent, according to the country’s energy regulator, the Energy Market Authority.
To contact the reporter on this story: Chou Hui Hong in Singapore at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Alexander Kwiatkowski at email@example.com