Pistorius Case’s Former Investigator Resigns From Police
The former South African investigator in the murder case of double-amputee track star Oscar Pistorius resigned yesterday, police spokesman Neville Malila said.
Detective Hilton Botha’s decision to quit the police “is an internal and a private affair,” Malila said in a phone interview today. The resignation won’t affect the case against Pistorius, who was released on bail on Feb. 22, he said. Botha was dropped as lead investigator after it emerged that he was facing seven charges of attempted murder for allegedly firing at a minibus in 2011.
Pistorius, who ran in the Olympics last year, is charged with the murder of his 29-year-old model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Pistorius, 26, says he shot her through a locked toilet door at 3 a.m. on Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day, after mistaking her for an intruder.
During the bail hearing at a Pretoria court, Magistrate Desmond Nair said Botha made several errors, including possibly contaminating the crime scene, not checking for other mobile phones owned by Pistorius and misidentifying substances found at his home as testosterone.
Pistorius is next scheduled to appear in court on June 4. Steenkamp’s family won’t attend court proceedings, her uncle, Mike Steenkamp, told broadcaster CNN today.
To contact the reporter on this story: Franz Wild in Johannesburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nasreen Seria at email@example.com