Red Sox Prospect to Miss Major-League Camp After Gunshot Injury
The Boston Red Sox will open pre- season camp without outfield prospect Bryce Brentz, who the Major League Baseball team said is recovering after shooting himself in the leg while cleaning his handgun.
Brentz, 24, played for Boston’s Double-A and Triple-A minor-league teams last season, hitting a combined .290 with 17 home runs and 76 runs batted in over 127 games.
When Brentz’s name wasn’t on a list of the 19 non-roster invitees to Boston’s major-league camp in Fort Myers, Florida, Red Sox General Manager Ben Cherington said that it was because Brentz had been recently injured when his gun went off and a bullet went through his leg. Cherington said Brentz wasn’t seriously injured and the accident won’t impact his future in professional baseball.
“We ended up not bringing him to big league camp because he wouldn’t be able to participate 100 percent,” Cherington was cited as saying two days ago by MLB.com. “I think he understands he got lucky, and it’s a serious thing and he has to be careful. He’s here in Fort Myers and he’s recovering.”
The Red Sox will hold their first spring training workout for pitchers and catchers tomorrow. The first full squad workout will be Feb. 15.
To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at email@example.com