AC Milan Agrees to Buy Manchester City Striker Mario Balotelli
AC Milan will buy Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli, a director of the Italian soccer club said today on Twitter.
The 22-year-old will have a medical exam tomorrow and then sign a contract through 2017, Milan’s Umberto Gandini said today on his page on the social media site.
Balotelli has played 20 times for City this season, scoring three goals. The Italian’s future with the Premier League champion has been the subject of speculation following controversies since his transfer from Inter Milan in August 2010.
Earlier this month, he had a dispute with manager Roberto Mancini at practice in which Mancini was photographed grabbing and pushing the player before the two were separated. Other incidents include his throwing a dart at a teammate, brawling with City’s Micah Richards and collecting four red cards.
Balotelli has scored 20 times for City and provided the pass which set up Sergio Aguero’s injury-time goal that won the club’s first Premier League title on the final day of last season.
He then went on to score three goals at the 2012 European Championship, tying for the tournament lead, in helping Italy reach the final.
The European transfer period ends at 11 p.m. U.K. time on Jan. 31.
To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Bensch in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser in London at email@example.com