Dettori Suspended From Racing for Six Months on Drug Test
Jockey Frankie Dettori got a global six-month ban from horseracing after a positive test for a banned substance at Longchamp in September.
Dettori is suspended from riding competitively on race courses all over the world from Dec. 19 until May 19, France Galop, the country’s racing authority, said in an e-mailed statement today. It didn’t disclose the banned substance.
Dettori’s lawyer Christopher Stewart-Moore said last month it was “not a performance-enhancing drug.”
Italian-born and U.K.-based Dettori is a three-time champion jockey in Britain. In September, he lost his role as a contracted jockey for Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s Godolphin training set-up. He’d been with the stable for 18 years and rode nine English classic winners for it before falling out of favor this year.
To contact the reporter on this story: Danielle Rossingh in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at email@example.com