Egypt Court to Hear Case Challenging Mursi Decree Dec. 4
An Egyptian court is set to hear a challenge to President Mohamed Mursi’s decree that placed his decisions above judicial review, a move that triggered some of the biggest demonstrations since last year’s uprising against Hosni Mubarak.
A Cairo administrative court has set a first hearing for Dec. 4 in the case brought by lawyers and judges including the head of Egypt’s judges’ association, Ahmed el-Zind, the court said in a faxed statement today.
“These are judicial procedures that we don’t interfere in, but at the end of the day there’s a presidential decree,” presidential spokesman Yasser Ali told reporters in Cairo today.
Mursi’s Nov. 22 decrees sparked five days of unrest in the capital and other main cities and clashes between his foes and supporters. Secular parties and youth groups have called for mass protests tomorrow against the Muslim Brotherhood, which is organizing its own rallies in defense of the president.
To contact the reporter on this story: Salma El Wardany in Cairo at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at email@example.com