NHL Cancels All-Star Game, Season Through Dec. 14, Amid Lockout
The National Hockey League canceled its All-Star Game, as well as 96 more regular-season contests through Dec. 14, with the player lockout ending its 10th week.
The league previously canceled regular-season contests through Nov. 30 and the outdoor Winter Classic, scheduled for New Year’s Day at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. The lockout now has caused the cancellation of 422 regular-season games, about 34 percent of the schedule.
The All-Star Game was to be played Jan. 27 in Columbus, Ohio, home of the Blue Jackets, for the first time.
“The reality of losing more regular-season games as well as the 2013 NHL All-Star Weekend in Columbus is extremely disappointing,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. “We feel badly for NHL fans and particularly those in Columbus, and we intend to work closely with the Blue Jackets’ organization to return the NHL All-Star events to Columbus and their fans as quickly as possible.”
NHL Players’ Association Executive Director Donald Fehr said in an e-mailed statement that yesterday’s cancellations were unnecessary.
“The players remain ready to negotiate, but we require a willing negotiating partner,” Fehr said.
The NHL and the union are attempting to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement. The two sides met in New York on two days this week, during which the union offered a new proposal detailing its position on economic issues.
NHL players have been locked out since Sept. 16, the day after the old contract expired. The two sides have been unable to agree on changes to player contract rights and how to share hockey-related revenue.
The league said its most recent offer contained an even revenue split between owners and players. None of the union’s counteroffers has been accepted by owners. The players received 57 percent of hockey-related revenue under the previous deal.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at firstname.lastname@example.org