Trade Center Construction Resumes on Generator Power, Cuo
Construction lights on 1 World Trade Center, blacked out by Hurricane Sandy four days ago, snapped on again late yesterday. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said generators were filling in for crippled utilities that have left much of lower Manhattan dark.
The construction will help return a sense of normalcy to the area, Cuomo said at a news briefing in Manhattan. Work on the 1,776-foot (541-meter) tower, a tribute to the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, hadn’t been expected to resume for as long as three weeks, as power to the area slowly returns.
“You’ll see the Ground Zero site will be illuminated once again,” Cuomo said. “New York is back to work.”
The Democratic governor had visited the site as the Hudson River poured into it the night of Oct. 29, examining a wall that holds back the river from seven stories underground.
“We didn’t know if the wall had been cracked and the water was coming up from there,” Cuomo said the following day in a radio interview. “A little voice in your head is saying, ‘Yeah, and what if it is?’”
The wall held and pumps removed enough water for workers to return, he said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Freeman Klopott in Albany at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Stephen Merelman at email@example.com