Jones-Drew Ends Unsuccessful 38-Day Holdout With Jaguars
Jones-Drew, 27, hasn’t negotiated a new deal, team spokesman Ryan Robinson said in an e-mail. Shahid Khan, who bought the Jaguars last year, said repeatedly that the team wouldn’t renegotiate Jones-Drew’s contract this season.
Jones-Drew has two years remaining on a five-year deal worth $31 million, according to ESPN. The three-time Pro Bowl selection has accrued $1.2 million in fines after missing training camp and all four of Jacksonville’s preseason games.
“I had a really good visit this morning with Maurice and I welcomed him in,” Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey said in comments e-mailed by the team. “He’s ready to go, so we’ll be working with him to get him up to speed as quickly as possible. It’s great to be able to proceed with our preparation for the opener and the season beyond with Maurice as part of the plans.”
First-year coach Mularkey has already named Rashad Jennings as starting running back for the first game of the regular season on Sept. 9 against the Minnesota Vikings.
Chosen by the Jaguars in the second round of the 2006 draft, Jones-Drew has rushed for more than 1,300 yards in each of the past three seasons. In 2011, he carried the ball 343 times for 1,606 yards to lead the league in both categories.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at firstname.lastname@example.org