Coca-Cola Works With China Authorities to Investigate Poisoning
Coca-Cola Co. (KO), the world’s largest soft-drink maker, said it’s cooperating with Chinese authorities investigating the death of a child who China News Service said died after consuming a Minute Maid milk beverage.
The child and an adult in the northeastern Chinese city of Changchun, became ill from food poisoning after consuming the drink, China News Service reported today, citing police. The report said the drink contained pesticide, without giving further details.
Coca-Cola checked batch samples of the beverage and found the product safe and within standards, Joanna Price, a spokeswoman, said. Minute Maid is one of Coca-Cola’s bestselling brands in China, according to researcher Euromonitor International.
The company is cooperating closely with authorities investigating the case, she said. “Our company takes the recent incidents in Changchun of Jilin Province very seriously,” she said.
To contact Bloomberg News staff for this story: Penny Peng in Beijing at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Frank Longid at email@example.com