Star Micronics, Suzuki, Toyota, Wesco: Japan Equity Preview
The following companies may have unusual price changes in Japanese trading tomorrow. Stock symbols are in parentheses, and share prices are as of the latest close. The information in each item was released after markets shut unless stated otherwise.
Aeon Kyushu Co. (2653 JQ): The supermarket chain said in a preliminary earnings statement that operating profit in the six months ended Aug. 20 amounted to 150 million yen ($2 million), beating its profit outlook by 50 percent, on administration cost cuts. The stock was unchanged at 1,470 yen.
Asahi Co. (3333 JT): The bicycle retailer raised its full- year net income outlook 30 percent to 3.1 billion yen as the March earthquake boosted demand for an alternative to train transportation. The stock fell 0.1 percent to 1,728 yen.
DeNA Co. (2432 JT): The website operator will acquire U.S. game-developer Punch Entertainment Inc.’s (PUNL US) Vietnam unit. The purchase will be completed in September, DeNA said in a release. DeNA slipped 1.8 percent to 3,815 yen.
Nomura Co. (9716 JT): The designer of exhibitions and signs had a first-half net loss of 260 million yen, narrower than the company’s 500 million yen loss forecast, according to a preliminary earnings statement. The stock sank 4 percent to 214 yen.
Riso Kyoiku Co. (4714 JT): The cram school operator plans to raise 4.2 billion yen by selling equity warrants to Deutsche Bank AG, according to a filing today with Japan’s finance ministry. Riso Kyoiku gained 1.9 percent to 4,735 yen.
Star Micronics Co. (7718 JT): The maker of card readers raised its full-year net income projection 36 percent to 1.5 billion yen, citing rising machine tool orders in the U.S. and Europe. Also, the company said it will buy back up to 2.32 percent of its outstanding shares through Oct. 14. Star Micronics also plans to retire 2.08 percent of its total shares on Oct. 31. The stock lost 4.4 percent to 673 yen.
Studio Alice Co. (2305 JT): The photo-studio chain’s August sales rose 9 percent from the same month a year earlier. The stock fell 3 percent to 1,505 yen.
Suzuki Motor Corp. (7269) (7269 JT): The automaker will seek to dissolve its 20-month-old alliance with Volkswagen AG after the German carmaker’s 222.5 billion yen investment failed to yield a single project. The Japanese automaker, which owns 1.49 percent of Volkswagen, plans to sell its holdings if the German automaker agrees to end the tie-up, the company said. Volkswagen now owns 19.9 percent of Suzuki, according to Bloomberg data. Suzuki declined 2.8 percent to 1,484 yen.
Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) (7203 JT): Fitch Ratings has downgraded Toyota’s long-term foreign and local currency issuer default ratings and senior unsecured debt rating to A from A+. The outlook is stable. The automaker slid 2.1 percent to 2,625 yen.
United Arrows Ltd. (7606) (7606 JT): The apparel chain raised its full-year net income forecast to 4.61 billion yen, citing an increase in same-store sales in the first-half. The retailer had forecast a profit range of 4.2 billion to 4.42 billion yen. The stock slid 0.6 percent to 1,427 yen.
Wesco Inc. (9648 JO): The construction engineering company said it will buy back up to 4.37 percent of its outstanding shares. The stock retreated 3.2 percent to 151 yen.
To contact the reporter on this story: Norie Kuboyama in Tokyo at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nick Gentle at firstname.lastname@example.org