Corinthians Calls Off Carlos Tevez Signing Citing Impending Trade Deadline
Carlos Tevez’s proposed move to SC Corinthians Paulista for a Brazilian record fee collapsed after the Sao Paulo-based club said it had run out of time to sign the Manchester City striker.
“There is no more time for the transfer to be achieved given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, July 20,” the club’s board said in the statement.
City manager Roberto Mancini told reporters two days ago that an agreement for the sale of Tevez to Corinthians had been reached. Luis Paulo Rosenberg, the Brazilian club’s vice president for marketing, later said in an interview the teams had yet to agree on how the payments for the fee of about $55 million would be structured.
Corinthians had been willing to pay more than double the previous Brazilian transfer record, when the Sao Paolo-based team paid Argentina’s Boca Juniors $20 million for Tevez in 2004. Tevez, 27, has said he wants to leave City to be closer to his daughters, who live in Argentina with their mother.
Corinthians said in its statement last night that it still wants to rehire Tevez at some point in the future.
“We are aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future,” Corinthians said.
Tevez previously played for Corinthians when the club was owned by a company controlled by his agent, Kia Joorabchian. The Iran-born businessman oversaw Tevez’s move to England in 2006 when he joined West Ham. Tevez then spent two seasons at Manchester United before joining City in a deal that U.K. media reported was worth as much as 47 million pounds ($76 million).
He scored 20 Premier League goals in the 2010-11 season to help City finish in third place and qualify for the Champions League for the first time. He also captained the team to the F.A. Cup title, its first major trophy since 1976.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org