Lawmaker Prescott Says He Will Sue London Police Over Phone Hacking Probe
John Prescott, the U.K.’s former deputy prime minister, said he plans to sue London’s police force for failing to tell him reporters at Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World newspaper may have hacked into his mobile phone.
In a statement on his website today Prescott, a Labour party member of the U.K.’s upper house of parliament, said he will ask the Administrative Court in London to rule the police violated his human rights by failing to effectively investigate the case.
“It has always been my intention to discover the truth behind this case and whether the Metropolitan Police fulfilled its duty to follow all the lines of evidence,” Prescott said in the posting. “It is my belief they didn’t.”
Prescott is the fourth person this week to say he would bring a case against the police over allegations that News of the World reporters hacked the phones of prominent British citizens during the time when Andy Coulson, Prime Minister David Cameron’s communications chief, was editor of the paper.
Another member of parliament, a former senior police officer and a journalist have already filed suits over the same issue, their law firm Bindmans said September 13. The House of Commons last week voted to hold an inquiry into the issue.
The Metropolitan Police declined to comment.
News of the World spokeswoman Hayley Barlow declined to comment. Coulson, who resigned from the newspaper after a reporter and a private investigator were jailed for phone- tapping in 2007, has said he didn’t know the practice was taking place at the time.