Mets Reliever Rodriguez May Be Done for Season With Injury From Scuffle
New York Mets reliever Francisco Rodriguez could miss the rest of the season because of a torn ligament in his pitching hand, an injury that may have occurred during a scuffle with his girlfriend’s father.
Rodriguez didn’t travel with the team to Houston and underwent tests yesterday in New York that revealed the tear in the thumb on his right hand. Mets doctors recommended surgery, though a date for a procedure hasn’t been scheduled.
“It’s a very tough one,” Mets manager Jerry Manuel said before last night’s 3-1 win at the Astros. “It’s not a baseball-related thing, so it probably adds to it a little bit. What we have to do is move forward.”
Rodriguez was suspended two games by the team last week after he was arrested for fighting with 53-year-old Carlos Pena -- the grandfather of his children -- in the Mets’ family lounge at Citi Field. Rodriguez was charged with third-degree assault after the incident, which followed the Mets’ 6-2 loss to Colorado on Aug. 11.
An unidentified Mets official told ESPN 1050 in New York that Rodriguez’s injury resulted from the incident.
The Mets are looking into voiding the remainder of Rodriguez’s salary for this season if he was injured in a non- baseball event, ESPN said, citing the unidentified team official. Rodriguez is making $11.5 million this season.
A four-time Major League Baseball All-Star, Rodriguez has 25 saves for the Mets this season along with a 4-2 record and a 2.20 earned run average. He had thrown 10 1/3 scoreless innings over his previous nine appearances.
Manuel said the Mets would probably use several relievers to fill Rodriguez’s role as closer. New York is in third place in the National League’s Eastern Division with a 59-59 record, 10 games behind the first-place Atlanta Braves.