Obama Promises to Respond to Sestak's Buyoff Claim
President Barack Obama said his administration soon will give an official response to allegations that Representative Joe Sestak was offered a job to end his bid for Pennsylvania’s Democratic Senate nomination.
“There will be an official response shortly on the Sestak issue which I hope will answer your question,” Obama said in response to a question at a White House news conference. “I can assure the public that nothing improper took place.”
Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee want a special prosecutor named to probe the allegations. Sestak defeated incumbent Arlen Specter, who Obama had backed, in the state’s May 18 primary.
At issue are allegations Sestak made earlier this year that he was offered a job in the administration if he halted his challenge to Specter. He has declined to specify what occurred.
To contact the reporter on this story: Julianna Goldman in Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org