One Big Happy(ish) Family
Body language can speak volumes about the tensions and problems facing the world's most powerful leaders.
Leaders of the world's biggest economies gathered for a "family photo" during the G-20 summit in Hangzhou, China. The photograph offers a rare snapshot of the world's most powerful leaders gathered in one place at the same time. It can also be an opportunity to assess the body language of those present. Standouts in this year's image include a smirking Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. President Barack Obama's awkward foot shuffle.
As host, China's President Xi Jinping took center stage flanked by Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who hosted last year's summit, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who will convene the G-20 in 2017. Guests invited to the Sept. 4-5 event and officials such as the International Monetary Fund's Managing Director Christine Lagarde are also in the photo.
- Economic Czars Warn G-20 of Risk From Populist Backlash on Trade
- Exclusive: Putin Sees Opening With Japan on World War II Island Dispute
- China's G-20 Playbook on Display in Host City
- One Country Seems to Be at the Heart of G-20 Tensions
- Chinese Takeovers Triggered Unprecedented Global Backlash Ahead of Summit